- geographical situation: it is located in the central-northern part of the country, on the middle basin of the river with identical name, in the centre of the Transylvanian Plateau;
- neighbours: in the north-Bistrita Nasaud, Suceava; in the east-Harghita; in the south-Brasov, Sibiu; in the west-Alba, Cluj;
- surface: 6,714 square km (respectively 2,8 % of the country's surface);
- population: 604,000 inhabitants;
- towns: TG. MURES-capital of the county (with 166,000 inhabitants, on the left bank
of the Mures, where some pictoresque hills meet each other); Iernut; Ludus; Reghin; Sighisoara; Sovata; Tarnaveni.
- relief: it is very varied and harmonious, descending slowly in levels from the volcanic ridges of the Calimani Mountains (impressive mountains with the top height Pietrosu Peak, 1,102 m) and of the Gurghiu, in the east, separated by the narrow path Mures-Toplita-Deda, towards south-west in the Tarnave Plateau (ridges of 500-600 m, separated by deep valleys with terraces), to the centre of the Transylvanian Plateau (500 m, smooth structures and long slopes), in the north-west;
- climate: it is moderate, with 127 days when the temperature goes below 00 C, variable rainfalls and winds blowing from north-west;
- watercourses: the Mure- river with its tributaries; Niraj, Gurghiu, PⲢul de C⭰ie, Comlod, TⲮava Mare, TⲮava Mica, with wide valleys and great flows. Bisedes the rivers, in the county of Mure- there are the salt water lakes from Sovata, with healing qualities, as well as the Ursu Lake, with a unique feature in Europe-the heliothermy.
- The Mures Narrow Paths-(between the Toplita and the Deda), the river cuts into the volcanic mountains (Northern Calimani and Southern Gurghiu) creating a narrow corridor which offers the tourists spectacular sights (rock, ridges, a delightful river bed). The narrow path is easy to be reached, with chalets and c⭰ing facilities, as well as temptations for fishermen.
PRESERVES AND MONUMENTS OF NATURE
- The Preserve of Steppe Peony-(in the north-west of the Zau de Campie village), the only place within the Carpathian arch where this plant grows. In the blossoming season (May), the beautiful meadow attracts many lovers of nature;
- The Mociar Forest-forest preserve (12 km away from Gurghiu), with oaks older than 400 years.
- Sovata-(15 km away from Tg. Mures), it is situated at the foot of the Curghiu Mountains, at an altitude of 475-530 m; it is mentioned as healing place since 1597. The sub-alpine climate is comforting for the nervous system, winters are mild and summers are chilly. The comfortable hotels of the spa offer modern treatment facilities (for warm mineral salt water baths, hot mud treatments, kinetotherapy, electro- and hydrotherapy). The highly efficient cure factors are connected to the presence of the heliothermal lakes in this region. The most important is Ursu Lake which presents the heliothermy phenomenon, namely a thermal stratification of water accompanied by an increase in depth of the salt concentration up to a ceratin level (3-3,5 m). At the surface, the water temperature is lower, being connected to that of the air, to gradually increase until a depth of 3 m, manifesting then constant and more reduced values. Thus, at the optimal depth for human body (1,5-2 m), in summer, the water temperature varies between 30-40oC. The Negru Lake (Black Lake) is rich in sapropelic mud, and the Alunis Lake has clay-silicon mud. The Verde (Green) and Rosu (Red) Lake located at the foot of the "Salt Lake" form an interesting natural picture. The spa has a lake (fising possibilities), fitted with a marina, boats, as well as a ski slope with babylift. All of these make Sovata a major place for rest and recreation;
- Sangeorgiu de Mures-(6 km away from Tg. Mures).
- Sighisoara Fortress-it is considered to be "the most beautiful inhabited fortress in Europe" and "the most beautiful and complete site of Medieval architecture in Romania". It was built at the beginning of the 13th century and repaired in the 14th century, when its walls were guarded by 14 towers erected and watched by the town guilds (hence their names). Today, visitors can admire: The Clocktower, The Tanners' Tower (one of the oldest), The Tinkers' Tower (expressive architecture, 25 m in height), The Goldsmiths' Tower (together with the nearby Caszaldo bulwark were the key of the town defensive system), The Ropers' Town (13th century), The Butchers' Tower (14th century), The Furriers' Tower (13th century), The Tailors' Tower (simple and massive, 14th century), The Cobblers' Tower (slim roof, with observation points), The Ironsmiths' Tower (1631, impressive);
- The Clocktower-Sighisoara, the most monumental of the Medieval towers, it is a real symbol of the town. It was built in the 14th century in order to defend the main gate. The walls are massive with a height of 64 m. The clock on top of the tower was made in Switzerland, its figures being symbols for the days of the week;
- The Vlad Dracul House-Sighisoara, the oldest civilian stone building of the town. It was here that between 1431 and 1435 Prince Vlad Dracul, father of Vlad the Impaler, lived;
- Medieval Fortress-Tg. Mures, it was built in the 15th century, expanded and reinforced with 7 bulwarks in the 17th century;
- The Stair Passage-Sighisoara, it was built in 1662. Only 175 steps are preserved today;
- The Ruins of the Bethlen Castle-Cris (19 km away from Sighisoara), it was built in Transylvanian Renaissance style between 1559-1589;
- Gornesti Castle-Gornesti (17 km away from Tg. Mures), it was built in Baroque style, between 1770-1778. Situated in a beautiful dendrological, the castle has 52 rooms and 365 windows symbolizing the weeks and days of the year;
- Brancovenesti Castle-Brancovenesti (1557-1558), impressive building with 4 towers.
- The Church on the Hill-Sighisoara, one of the oldest churches in Romania, mentioned in documents since 1345. It preserves beautiful decorative sculptures in flamboyant Gothic style and valuable wall paintings (15th century). The church dominates the town with the massiveness of its walls;
- Church of the Dominican Monastery-Sighisoara, it was attested in 1298 and later suffered a series of changes. It preserves items of great artistic value (Oriental carpets);
- Reformed Church-Tg. Mures, interesting monument of architecture in Gothic style. Its construction began in 1316 and was completed in 1442, with the support of ruler Iancu de Hunedoara;Reformed Church-Tg. Mure-, interesting monument of architecture in Gothic style. Its construction began in 1316 and was completed in 1442, with the support of ruler Iancu de Hunedoara;
- Fortified Church-Daia (1457);
- Fortified Church-Saschiz;
- Evangelical Church-Reghin (1300-1330);
- Church of the Leprous-Sighisoara, 15th century Gothic Church, asylum for leprous in the following centuries;
- Roman-Catholic Church-Tg. Mures, it was built by Jesuit friars between 1728-1750.
- Teleki Library-Tg. Mures, one of the richest collections of old book in Transylvania, centre of European culture in the past centuries. It was founded by Count Samuel Teleki, former chancellor of Transylvania, at the end of the 18th century. In 1802, it became the first public library in our country. The library holds more than 200,000 volumes (after the association with the Bolyai Library), some of them of exceptional value. The same building (historical monumet, 1799-1803) hosts the Bolyal Memorial Museum which, together with the library exhibitions, receives many Romanian and foreign tourists every year;
- Palace of Culture-Tg. Mures, one of the most impressive buildings in the city, built between 1911- 1913. The facade is artistically adorned with remarkable statues and basreliefs. The famous "Hall of Mirrors" draws the attention with great number of stained glass windows (skilfully crafted), of Venice mirrors and elegant furniture. The building concentrates several cultural institutions: the State Philarmonic and Theatre, Museum of Art.
Source: Romanian Travel Guide / Publirom