Maramures County - Satu Mare County
Hotels in Maramures - Travel Agencies in Maramures
Other zones : Crisana and Banat - Dobrogea - Moldova and Bucovina - Muntenia and Oltenia - Transylvania
- geographical situation: in the north-western extremity of Romania, at the border with Ukraine;
- neighbours: North-Ukraine; West-Satu Mare; South-Salaj, Cluj, Bistrita Nasaud; East-Suceava;
- surface: 6,304 square km (respectively 2,6 % of the country's territory);
- population: 535,000 inhabitants;
- towns: BAIA MARE-capital (with 150,000 inhabitants, at the foot of Gutai Mountains,
on Sasar River, with inexhaustible beauty treasures, in a unique universe; Baia Sprie; Borsa; Cavnic; Seini, Sighetu Marmatiei; Tg. Lapus; Viseu de Sus.
- relief: mountain region par excellence, generally uneven, with heights that vary between 200 m in the depressions and 2.300 in the mountains region (that covers - of the country territory).
It has the aspect of a natural amphitheatre. The Maramures Depression is totally surrounded by mountains: in the south-western part the Oas, Gutai and Tibles Volcanic Mountains, in the eastern part the Maramures Mountains and in the south-eastern part Rodnei Mountains (Pietrosu Peak-2,300 m) with sharp, long ridges, vertical walls and picturesque valleys. It also includes parts of the Transylvanian Sub-Carpathians, Somes Plateau and the Western Hills;
- climate: varies according to the diversity of relief structures, temperate continental, with south-western and south-eastern winds;
- water courses: cross the territory as a cobweb, from Tisa with its tributaries: Viseu (with Cisla, Vaser, Ruscova), Iza (with Mara, Ieud, Botiza), that crosses the depression through a large valley surrounded by terraces, to southern Somes with the tributaries: Lapus, Barsau, as well as the mineral water springs: Borsa, Craciunesti, Breb, Botiza.
- Pietrosul Massif (Rodnei Mountains)-2,303 m, (10 km from Borsa), hosts the most important natural preserve from the northern part of the county (geological, botanical and faunistical).
The Massif has numerous glacial traces (ridges, valleys, funnels, and moraines). UNESCO has declared it a biosphere preserve;
- Gutai Mountains-(1,443 m), covered with secular forests, they belong to the chain of the volcanic mountains. "Creasta Cocosului" offers a bizarre sight, 12 km from Baia Sprie, a huge block of andesite that dominates the surroundings with its impressive size; it forms a geological preserve;
- Tibles Mountains-(1,839 m-top altitude), scattered with pastures, rocks and sheepfolds; their routes are long and tiresome requiring many stops;
- Maramures Mountains-(Farcau Peak-1,957 m).
VALLEYS AND WATERFALLS
- Vaser Valley-characterised by a succession of unique landscapes, it forms one of the most impressive narrow paths of the Eastern Carpathians, both sides being covered by dozens of mineral water springs;
- Iza and Mara Valley-(on DN 18), routes that offer not only impressive landscapes but also the satisfaction of visiting some of the oldest churches made of wood, as well as a row of Maramures gates, authentic rustic triumphal arches;
- Puzdrele-40 m waterfall;
- Cailor-40 m waterfall.
- Friza dam Lake-on the river with the same name, (10 km from Baia Mare), for recreation tourism;
- Ocna Sugatag-salted lake with therapeutic values;
- Costiui-salted lake with therapeutic values;
- Iezerul Glacial Lake-in Pietrosu Massif.
SPAS AND RESORTS
- Borsa-(850 m altitude), resting watering and climatic spa located at the foot of Rodna. The climate is mild (average winter temperature: 8oC, and in summer time +20oC), with air rich in ozone due to the fir forests surrounding the spa. The touristic success that Borsa enjoys is the result of various possibilities for mountain trips and winter sports. On the northern part of Rodna Mountains the snow is present even in summer time and sometimes it remains from one year to the other. The spa has ski slopes for all categories of ski lovers and it also has a natural springboard and a skilift. The treatments performed in the spa include modern and naturists therapies and also natural mofettes. Access: by train-Viseu station, and by roads-DN 18, Baia Mare-Sighetul Marmatiei-Borsa, DN 17 + DN 18 Suceava-Pasul Prislop-Borsa, DN 17C + DJ 186: Bistrita-Nasaud-Borsa;
- Ocna Sugatag-(20 km from Sighetul Marmatiei), watering and climatic spa at an altitude of 490 at the foot of the volcanic chain Tibles-Gutai;
- Touristic complexes-Izvoarele, Mogosa, Craciunesti.
- Stephen's Tower-Baia-Mare, interesting Gothic tower raised in 1347, resembling the tower of the old City Hall from Prague. From its 50 m height, the tower offers a beautiful panorama of the city;Stephen's Tower-Baia-Mare, interesting Gothic tower raised in 1347, resembling the tower of the old City Hall from Prague. From its 50 m height, the tower offers a beautiful panorama of the city;
- Buthcher's Bulwark-Baia-Mare, used to be part of the fortifications system of the city (15th century). They say that from here was fired the bullet that killed the famous outlaw Pintea the Brave;
- Mint Building-Baia-Mare (1734-1738), today it hosts the County Museum;
- Ruins of the Chioaru Fortress-near Somcuta Mare, documentary attested in 1319;
- Ruins of the Fortress-Bogdan Voda.
- Wooden Churches-have a special place among the most valuable assets of Romanian folk creation being unique in the world due to the specific Romanian style of their forms and adornments. In the villages of Maramures there are many such structures that represent the vivid expression of the folk skill. Authentic monuments of architectural art, the churches delight with their slim lines, surprising harmony of proportions and towers raising towards the infinity of the sky. Some of the most beautiful can be found in the following cities: Bogdan Voda (18th cent., painted interior), Surdesti (1724, the highest tower in the county: 54 m); Moisei (1699); Barsana (1780), Budesti (17th-18th cent.), Calinesti (1663, with pictures dating since 1754), Rozavlea (1700, wall painting from 1775), Botiza (1796), Ieud;
- "Holy Trinity" Church-Baia Mare, founded by Jesuit friars between, in a Baroque style;
- Izvorul Negru Monastery-near Moisei (1672).
- The Museum of Maramures-Sighetu Marmatiei, with ethnography and folk art sections (folk costume and architecture, masks, icons, house items), nature science (flora and fauna from Maramures);
- Mineralogy Museum-Baia-Mare, presenting interesting and unique mineral pieces.
MONUMENTS AND STATUES
- Moisei Monument-erected in the memory of the people killed by the Nazis in 1944, sculptured by Vida Gheza, initially in wood and later in stone.
- The "Merry Cemetery"-Sapanta (18 km from Sighetul Marmatiei), unique in the world, amazing due to its originality. The wooden crosses, sculptured and painted by craftsman Stan Patras, turned it into an authentic museum. The colours of the crosses and the humorous texts on them capture for eternity the essential episodes of life and show the strength of the Romanian spirit, which do not fear death. It can be said that Maramures villages form a huge folk art gallery. On holidays, the image is completed by the locals' garb, vividly coloured, sewn with skill and imagination; the customs are original demonstration of folk art. The famous Maramures gates are authentic "visit cards" of wood sculpture; being realised with skill, their adornment is the traditional element of Maramures: the sun, symbol of life; the most beautiful gates can be seen in the following villages: Sapanta, Vadul Izei, Desesti and Giulesti;
- Botiza-(dowry chests and rugs);
- Viseul de Jos-(folk costume and fabrics);
- Bogdan Voda-(carpets and wickerwork);
- Sacel-(rough red ceramics with old traditional elements).
Source: Romanian Travel Guide / Publirom