| Danube Delta|
- Danube Delta-kaleidoscope of original landscapes, the paradise of rush bushes, of numerous fishes, the Danube Delta is a region of great touristic beauty and has a real scientific value. It has 5,050 square km (out of which 4,340 square km on the Romanian territory, the rest on Ukrainian territory), its average altitude is 31 cm, great part of the region being under water. Varied images appear in front of the visitor: sand banks, large ponds, numerous rush bushes, sand dunes, forests, canals shadowed by old willows. All these and a permanent metamorphosis, a permanent modification of the Delta's forms and dimensions amaze the Romanian and foreign tourists every year. First mention of the Danube Delta was made by the Greek historian Herodotus who described the moment when Persian fleet of Darius entered the Delta, after a stop in Histria (515-513 B.C.). On this occasion Herodotus mentions that the Danube is divided into five branches before flowing into the Black Sea. The Danube Delta is considered the region "with the largest and thickest rush surface of the globe" (the numerous rush bushes preserve the natural balance); with the richest ornithological fauna of the world (more than 300 species); the youngest land in Europe (each year the land advances 40 m into the water); the largest sand dunes in Romania; the lowest level of mist in Romania; the lowest altitude of a town (Sulina-3.5 m); the shortest winter in the country (20 days with 00C). Due to its special morphological and hydrographical characteristics and to the originality of its flora and fauna, there have been established several complex natural preserves within this region: Letea Forest, Caraorman Forest, Rosca-Buhaiova-Hrecisca-Letea Saint George-Perisor-Zatoane, Periteasa-Leahova-Gura Portitei. In August 1990 UNESCO included the Danube Delta, this "immense geologic and biologic laboratory" where everything undergoes changes, in the biosphere reserves due to its scientific and landscape value. Its fauna is very diverse, there is no similar place in Europe, it has species that are unique in the world. There can be remembered the following birds among the 300 species: pelicans, geese and ducks, storks, cormorants, egrets, flamingo, swans, most of them are declared monuments of nature protected by law. It should be mentioned that Delta's sky is crossed by six ways of the migratory birds, it is situated at halfway between Equator and North Pole (parallel 450) so it is often a stop for the migratory birds. Many of the Delta's fishes have economic value: sturgeon, stor sturgeon, sterlet-important for the caviar. There can be remembered the following mammals: hermine, wild cat, muskrat, raccoon dog, and tortoise. The unrivalled flora comprises, among other species: white and yellow water lilies, bulrush, bracken, different kinds of reeds, water iris. Besides this immensely rich floral landscape, there are 8,000 ha of forests with giant trees on whose trunks grow climbing plants like lianas. Charmed by everything, the tourists do not know what to admire fist of all: the rush waving when the wind is blowing, the variety of birds and vegetation or the fishermen's villages spread along the channels. Non of the nature's lovers will forget the days spent fishing or in the fishermen's cabins or in a tent, the soup made by fishermen that cannot be cooked like this anywhere else.
PRESERVES AND MONUMENTS OF NATURE
- Rosca-Buhaiova-Hrecisca-fauna preserve situated in Matita Depression between Letea and Chilia sand banks, surface-15,400 ha. Every spring the biggest pelican colony in Europe come here and make their nests. The luxuriant vegetation attracts colonies of egrets, spoon bills and yellow herons;
- Perisoe-Zatoane-fauna preserve situated to the east of Daranov Depression (to the south of Sfantul Gheorghe town). On its surface of 14,200 ha numerous swans, pelicans and cormorants make their nests. The nucleus of the preserve is represented by the lakes: Zatonul Mare and Zatonul Mic;
- Periteasca-Leahova-fauna preserve situated in Razim-Sinoe lagoon (3,900 ha), the most famous region of cost birds. It includes some sand banks and the lakes: Leahova Mare and Leahova Mica, Periteasca, Pahane and Cosna;
- Letea Forest-forest preserve situated on Letea sandbank (at 7 km south of Periprava). Great number of plants climbing around the tree trunks resembling tropical forests characterizes it. The tree that can be found here are: oak, elm, poplar, willow, etc;
- Caraorman Forest-forest preserve, to the west of Caraorman sand bank, it is similar to Letea Forest, there are many tropical elements unique in the world;
- Fossil Center-Agighiol, to the north of Razim lake;
- "Wild strawbery Valley" Forest-Luncavita, situated in Macinului Mountains near Isaccea, it is a lonely spot where wild strawberry grow.
- Enisala-(at 17 km of Jurilocva), there have been found here traces of a Getic-Thracian center (9th-7th centuries B.C.) and a Getic center (4th century B.C.), the largest Getic-Dacian necropolis of Dobrogea (4th-3rd centuries B.C.) and a Roman military establishment. Currently the tourists can visit the ruins of Byzantine fortress: Heracleea (645-650 B.C.) restored by Genoese craftsmen in the 13th century to develop their commercial activities on the Danube;
- Troesmis Fortification-(at 3 km of Turcoaia vilage), Getic-Thracian fortress mentioned in the 3rd century B.C. on the occasion of the military conflict between Lysimach si Dromichete. During the Roman period it became an important military center, then it was declared "municipium"; it knew important growth as its buildings, public monuments and baths indicate;
- Noviodunum Fortress-Isaccea, Roman Byzantine Fortress having a Celtic name, built in 369 A.D. It had an important strategic and commercial role, was declared "municipium"; it knew important growth as its buildings, public monuments and baths indicate;
- Arrubium Fortress-Macin, military and civil establishment with Celtic name, documentary attested in 100 A.D. (through two military diplomas). It was an important center at the border of the empire during Roman Byzantine occupation;
- Dinogetia Fortress-Gavan, its name was mentioned for the first time by Ptolomeu in his famous work: "Geographia" (2nd century A.D.). Formerly it was a Getic-Dacian fortress, then a Roman one, Dinogetia was raised during the reign of emperor Diocletian (284-305 A.D.), it was destroyed in 559 A.D. by a Hunnish Bulgarian tribe, the fortress was reconstructed and developed between 10th-12th centuries;
- Ancient Fortress-Chilia Veche, it dates from Greek Antiquity, then it was occupied by the Byzantine Empire until 10th century;
- Salsovia Byzantine Fortress-Mahmudia (3rd century A.D.).
- Basilica-Niculitel (at 15 km of Isaccea), the oldest construction of this type in Romania; it is unique in Europe from the architectonic point of view. The basilica and the tomb were constructed during the reign of king Valens (after 370 A.D.);
- Cocos Monastery-(at 8 km of Isaccea and 9 km north-east of Nifon village), raised in 1835 in Oriental (Turkish) style but influenced greatly by Romanian architecture, too. Currently it houses a medieval and modern art museum that includes collections of old books and icons;
- Celik Dere Monastery-Telita, Frecatei village, (at 22 km of Isaccea), built between 1841-1844 by Romanian and Russian monks. It has a medieval art collection. Near the monastery there is a rare construction for Romanian landscape: the windmill;
- Mosque of Ali Gaza Pasha-Babadag (at 35 km south of Tulcea), the oldest monument of Muslim architecture in Romania (17th century). It has a minaret of 35 m.
- The Danube Delta Museum-Tulcea, it has the following sections: natural science section (it presents Delta's flora and fauna, it has an aquarium with different fishes living in the Delta, but also exotic species), history and archeology section (valuable exhibits regarding the region's history), ethnography and folkloric art section, fine arts section (it includes a collection of modern and contemporary graphic);
- "Panait Cerna" Memorial House-Cerna is the place where Panait Cerna (1881-1913), a poet of rare sensibility and deep reflection, was born and spent his childhood;
- Museum of a Typical House in Lipova-Jurilocva;
- Heroes Monument on Colnicul Horei-Tulcea, the monument was raised to pay homage to the heroes that fought in the Independence War (1877-1878);
- Monument from Smardan-raised to pay homage to the marines that died for their county independence;
- Mircea the Elder Statue-Tulcea, dedicated to the great Romanian voivode (1386-1418) who fought against the Turks for Dobrogea region; the sculptor-Ion Jalea.