| Best spots quik-links|
Citadel-Suceava, former capital of the Moldavia province in the Middle Ages, situated in the east part of the town, on a high plateau, having a dominant position. The citadel was constructed in 14th century by Petru Musat, developed and strengthen by Alexandru the Kind and later by Stefan the Great, who transformed it into a bastion against the country's enemies. Today there can be admired only its massive walls, some parts of the towers and interior constructions.
Royal Inn-Suceava, one of the oldest laical buildings of Moldavia, constructed at the beginnings of 17th century. For a long time, the inn served as a venue for the princes' sons coming back from hunting in the thick forests of Suceava, for this reason its name was "Royal Inn". Today the former inn houses the Bucovina Rural Art Museum.
Monasteries from Bucovina-Voronet, Humor, Moldovita, Sucevita and Arbore-the outdoor walls of these monasteries are painted in intense natural colors, the paintings seem the pages of an open book. The art historians compare their artistic value with the mural paintings of San Marco church of Venice or the church of Orvietto. The visitors admire the human character, the power of expression and the nobility of the represented figures, they are impressed by the original freshness of the colors that have conserved their qualities for almost half a millennium. The secret of the Moldavian painters who prepared the colors and the techniques that made the paintings incredibly resistant are still a mystery. Different kinds of people: tourists, architects, art critics and photographers around the world come in pilgrimage to these masterpieces, whose artistic value is unique in the world.
Voronet Monastery-(at 39 km of Suceava and at 47 km of Gura Humorului), also named "Eastern Sistine Chapel", it seems to be painted on the sky, the visitors are transported in a fairyland. It was founded in 1488 by the Moldavian ruler, Stephan the Great, the monastery's church, also named "Bucovina's jewelry", was constructed in the Moldavian style of that period, the paintings were made in1547 (during the reign of Petru Rares). The daylight makes the colors more beautiful, especially the famous "blue color of Voronet". "The blue of Voronet" became an idiom that defines an essentially Romanian color. "The sky was painted on other walls too, but never they remained so fresh and bright as Voronet walls did, irradiating the charm/spell around them". The Byzantine art received here the interpretation of Moldavian painters: the angels have the beautiful face of Moldavian women, the archangels blow the "bucium" (a traditional instrument, approximately like an alphorn), not the trumpets, those going to heaven are wrapped in traditional Moldavian house-woven cloth;
Moldovita Monastery-(at 94 km of Suceava and 36 km of Gura Humorului), founded by Petru Rares in 1532, the mural painting was made in 1537. It is the biggest church raised during the Moldavian style flourishing period. Moldovita mural painting together with Voronet one represent the most valuable treasure from Petru Rares reign. The very well preserved fresco presenting "the siege of Constantinople" impresses through its force and dynamism, expressing patriotism and concern for the country's fate. Inside the monastery there is the "Royal House", where there is a feudal art museum organized by the monastery's nuns;
Humor Monastery-(at 41 km of Suceava and 6 km of Gura Humorului), built in 1530 by the great chancellor Teodor Bubuiog helped by Petru Rares. Unlike other churches this one does not have a spire and the porch is open. The painting dates from 1535;
Arbore Monastery-(at 32 km north-west of Suceava and at 37 km of Gura Humorului), built in 1503 by the court noble Luca Arbore, who was buried here. The painting was made in 1541 by Dragos Coman, it predominates the green, a fresh brilliant green with many shades;
Sucevita Monastery-(at 52 km of Suceava and 6 km of Gura Humorului), built between 1582-1584 by the brothers Gheorghe and Ieremia Movila, it closes the series of great outdoor mural paintings of the 16th century. It is a fortified monastery, surrounded by a high wall with defense towers. It was painted by the Moldavian painters: Ion and Sofronie who proved their unrivalled talent. The predominant color is green with many shades. Every tourist arriving in Bucovina has the feeling of being among the greatest treasures of the Orient, which the painter transposed into art and the art got its one life;
Putna Monastery-raised between 1466-1469, during a period of glory and peace, it is the first fortified construction of Stephan the Great, was designed to be the necropolis of the ruler's family and his descendents, including Petru Rares. Putna has known earthquakes, fires and invasions for 5 centuries, the only construction from the 15th century still standing is the "Treasure's tower". Within the monastery there is the tomb of Stephan the Great. The monastery is famous for its patrimony of embroidery, woven work, manuscripts, silver objects and cult objects;
Dragomirna Monastery-founded by bishop Anastasie Crimca, in 1602; fortified precincts that cover the spire, it is a valuable museum;
Bogdana Monastery-Radauti, the oldest church in Moldavia, founded by voivode Bogdan I in 1365; here are the tombs of the first rulers of Moldavia;
Zamca Monastery-Suceava, the most important building constructed by the Armenians from Suceava in1660, taking the form of a fortress-monastery;
Probota Monastery- Dolhasca, (at 64 km of Suceava and 31 km of Falticeni), constructed in 1530 by Petru Rares, who was buried here together with his wife; it sill preserves some of the original frescoes of 1532;
Rasca Monastery-(at 18 km of Falticeni), built in 1542 by Petru Rares; in 1840 Mihail Kogalniceanu was banished here by the ruler Mihail Sturza;
Slatina Monastery-(at 25 km of Falticeni), founded by Alexandru Lapusneanu in 1561;
Mirauti Church-Suceava, the oldest church in town, constructed between 1375-1391, it was the first headquarters of the Moldavian bishop. It was here that Stephan the Great was declared ruler over Moldavia after receiving the bishop blessing. The church was restored between 1898-1901, but he the design of the former church was respected;
"Saint George" Church-Suceava, important medieval architectural monument, founded by the voivodes Bogdan the Blind and Stefania (1514-1522). It is an elegant construction with interior frescoes and interesting exterior decorative elements;
Wooden Church-Putna, (at 33 km of Radauti), founded by Dragos Voda in 1346, restored in 1468;
"Saint Dumitru" Church-Suceava, founded by Petru Rares in 1535, near it there is a tower built by Alexandru Lapusneanu in 1561; it is sculptured the Moldavian escutcheon: an aurochs head;
Church from Reuseni-Udresti (at 15 km south-east of Suceava), the construction works began during the reign of Stephan the Great in 1503;
Alba Church-Baia (at 9 km south-west of Falticeni), raised by Stephan the Great following his victory over Matei Corvin in 1467;
Roman Catholic Church-Baia, built in 1410, the founder is the wife of Alexandru cel Bun, Lady Margareta, now it came to ruin;
Hermit Daniil's Cell-(at 1.5 km of Putna), the 15th century, the legend says that Stephan the Great often sought the advice of the hermit Daniil.
Wood Museum-Campulung Moldovenesc, set up in 1936, has more than 15,000 artistically made wooden exhibits, the museum offers an image of the former professions of the inhabitants of this region;
Bucovina National Museum-Suceava, archaeology, history, art, ethnography, nature sciences;
Gallery of Outstanding Persons-Falticeni;
"Ciprian Porumbescu" Memorial House-C. Porumbescu (at 25 km of Suceava, on DN 17), in memory of the great musician, author of the first Romanian masterpieces;
"Nicolae Labis" Memorial House-Malini (at 10 km of Falticeni).
The ethnographical and folkloric fund of Suceava county emphasizes the inclination to talent and sensibility for beautiful things of this region inhabitants. There are numerous ethnographical elements in Dornele Land, where the inhabitants are still preserving the old occupations and customs, as well as authentic rural clothing which are artistically made, the artistic inclination is obvious in choosing the models and colors to be used. Some of the most famous places from this point of view are: Marginea (at 10 km of Radauti) renowned center for its black ceramic polished with stone, the Gaeto-Dacian technique was transmitted from generation to generation (which proves the continuity of the aboriginal population in this region); Dorna, the architecture specific for Bucovina with beautiful external decorations with geometric or floral motifs; Ciocanesti (at 22 km of Vatra Dornei), renowned for the carpets made here; Cacica, important ceramic center; Vama (famous for the singlet and sleevless sheepskin coat); Fundu Moldovei (the folkloric musical instruments are made here, also famous for artistic wood exploitation); Carlibaba (folkloric clothing and woven cloth for the interior of the houses); Arbore (house-woven cloth).
Source: Romanian Travel Guide / Publirom