- geographical situation: in the south-eastern part of Romania, in the eastern part of the Romanian Plain, on the lower course of Ialomita river, covering 2/3 from the fertile Baragan Plain;
- neighbours: at north-Braila, Buzau; at north-west-Prahova; at west-Ilfov; at south-east-Constanta; at south-Calarasi;
- surface: 4,453 square km;
- population: 304,000 inhabitants;
- towns: SLOBOZIA-capital (with 56,000 inhabitants, at the crossing point of some old and important commercial roads); Fetesti, Urziceni, Tandarei.
- relief: mainly of plain areas, with altitudes which do not go over 100 m, being
located in the eastern Baragan and in the meadows of the Danube and Ialomita (it has to be noted by the apparition of dunes, terraces and many lakes);
- climate: excessively continental in the northern and western part and more temperate in the south-eastern part. This territory is influenced by the eastern continental, western oceanic and southern Mediterranean air currents materialised in rough winds coming from the north-eastern part: Crivetz, dry from the south-eastern which usually cause long periods of drought. This area is also influenced by the rare and not uniformly distributed fallrain and also with important differences from one season to the next.
- water courses: represented by the Danube and Borcea river in the south-eastern part, Ialomita river that crosses the eastern part extending itself and creating a horm, but also by the lakes: Amara, Fundata, Strachina, Schiauca, Ratca.
- Rogoz-sweet water lake, river liman;
- Ezer-sweet water lake, river liman;
- Fundata-the mud has therapeutic qualities;
- Strachina-salt water, the mud has therapeutic qualities;
- Coscovata-meadow lake;
- Piersica-meadow lake.
- Amara-(7 km north-west from Slobozia and 126 km from Bucharest), watering and climatic spa situated on the north western shore of lake Amara at an altitude of 30 m. It has a continental plain climate with warm, sometimes hot, summers and cold winters. The spa is well known since 1900 for its healing qualities of the sapropelic mud of the lake (therapeutical qualities similar to that of Techirghiol Lake). Of the facilities available in this spa, it's worth mentioning the warm baths, using the lake waters, in pools and tubs, mud baths and paintings followed by baths in the lake. The access to the spa is by train: Slobozia Veche station on Ciulnita-Slobozia Veche lines or Ploiesti Sud-Slobozia Veche, or by bus to the spa, routes-E 15 from Bucharest or Constanta, DN 21 from Braila or Calarasi.
- Getic Deva-Piscu Crasani, fortress strengthened with earthwork and moot (2nd-1th century BC), is one of the most important Getic-Dacian settlements;
- Vestiges of Dridu Settlement-(8th-10th century) there were discovered material culture objects that reflect the specific culture of the local population (Dridu Culture).
- "Sfintii Voievozi" Church-Slobozia, it was part of an old monastery built in 1628. Ruler Matei Basarab rebuilt the church in 1634. Today it hosts a collection of religious objects.
- Pitesteanu Monastery;
- Balaciu Monastery-founded by Grigore II Ghica in 1750;
- Wooden Church-Poiana (1737).
Source: Romanian Travel Guide / Publirom